As the government agency charged with protecting Abu Dhabi’s environmental quality, we are faced with an array of significant challenges.
By clearly identifying the priorities, approaching them via our own five-year strategic plan and setting ourselves a range of key performance indicators, we are able to make significant progress.
The priorities which we address in the EAD Strategic Plan 2016-2020 are as follows:
- unsustainable use of groundwater
- declining outdoor air quality and increasing risk of respiratory illness
- uncertain, but potentially significant, local impacts of climate change
- insufficient infrastructure for the treatment and disposal of wastes
- declining coastal water quality
- increasing incidents of land pollution and soil degradation
- habitat loss, alteration and fragmentation
- increasing numbers of endangered, threatened and vulnerable species
- overexploitation of wild species populations, including the collapse of three key local fishery species
- increasing incidences of invasive species.