Aquaculture could play a useful role in providing food for the Emirate. This is so far a modest industry with 32 small scale commercial operations, mostly unlicensed.
We wish to ensure that the industry grows in line with internationally established best practice. So we are approaching it with a number of strategies:
- Establishing a sustainable aquaculture policy, and robust regulatory framework
- Defining the types and scales of aquaculture operations to be permitted
- Developing a new, streamlined license application process linking various stakeholders
- Developing management guidelines including advice on fish health management
- Awareness building and educational initiatives
To find out more, click